Monday, June 11, 2012

Paper Crafts Gallery Idol Round 3

Oh boy this challenge (create a masculine and feminine card using the same element) was hard.

So here's the story.

I have a lot of twins in my family. I feel bad for twins sometimes because people don't see their individuality. They become known as a single entity "the twins" and that goes for holiday and birthdays too, which is unfortunate.

I made a baby card that is easy to mail because on the surface it looks like one card, but when you open it, it separates into 2 distinct cards with a feminine side (baby girl) and a masculine side (baby boy). That way each person has their own special card but you don't have to pay for extra postage! This is the part where you think, "that girl Wida sure is clever." At least I hope that is what you are saying. hehe...

Gallery Idol only lets you submit one photo. But here on my blog, I can show you exactly how this card works!


 From the outside, it looks like a single card. It has woodgrain embossed using the Papertrey Ink Impression plate. But notice how the masculine font is on the left and the feminine font is on the right? Keepin' it subtle initially.


Then it banner open and separates into feminine and masculine patterns and you get a peek of what's inside. I used paper from the Miss Caroline collection from My Minds Eye. 

Here you can see how they overlap. I chose paper buttons for easier folding

The card then separates into 2 distinct cards. One for the girl baby...

with pink and florals and a flower tag. You can write your message along the right side. The little lamb and baby stamp is from Denami. This is the stamp set I used in both the cards.


Here is the boy version. Blue is very typical, but gray plaid? Now that's trendy! The tag is more boyish and the banner behind it has less detail.

Here is the outside of the boys side. 



And here are both cards standing side by side! I hope you like my take on the challenge and vote for me! Trying hard...trying so so hard :) 

Oh and the tag on the left is by Stampin' Up and the one on the right is by Tim Holtz. For the design, I cased my own card shown here. 

Oh, and I called this one "TWOFER"(two-fer) which is defined as accomplishing 2 things at once, or two items for the price of one. You could use this concept for other 2 for one type of events like anniversaries where you want both people to feel special!


You can see everyone's fantastic cards here.

Thank you, thank YOU, THANK YOU,

Wida

PS. some people have been asking me what stamp I used for my card that won the top 20. It is by My Thoughts Exactly and is called "more mini thoughts". It's a great versatile set here!

25 comments:

  1. Wow! So creative, Wida! Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just so pretty. Love how they go together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such ingenuity! A creative and beautiful take on the challenge!

    You're the best Wida!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea! I love the little tags you have hanging in each one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT! Such a great idea Wida! :> You really rocked this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely FUN...love the story behind it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is not only clever, but functional!! How difficult to only submit one photo. Perfect project for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever and gorgeous. So, even though the front of the cards interlock through the banners, the back sides just slip behind each other? At least that's what it looks like to my eyes. Love your take on this challenge. Good luck to you - I'm rooting for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are one clever paper crafter...yes you are!!! Super awesome pair...like I said on fb WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Wida, you certainly are clever. Two cards in one! Fabulous creation! Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Wida I LOVE this! The wood panel and banners are beautiful! You might not know this about me, but I have an identical twin sister (who doesn't make cards...how weird is that?) and we've never received anything as cool as this!!!!! You rocked this one Wida!!!! and yes, I do think you're clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, you're clever! That was such a cool idea to make the interlocked cards. I love the papers--especially the plaid on the boy side. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you always put a lot of thought into your cards, Wida! Fun to read your posts. The interlocking cards seem like they would make a fun experience for the recipients. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, this is a clever and ingenious design!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Super clever! I love the look of both. Shh... don't tell, but your card is my fav. out of all the entries. :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  16. So innovative of you to make the 2-in-1 cards! I love the little details like the woodgrain and interlocking strips. And now you are making me feel bad- I have 2 friends that I ALWAYS refer to as "the twins"....not to their faces, but to my husband and other friends. They are 30, and I'm realizing that they will apparently never grow out of that label. I'll make a point now to stop saying "the twins." Thanks Wida! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clever idea Wida, definitely unique! Love the way it opens up most of all. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You clever girl, Wida! I would never have thought of creating a "2-in-1" card. And, it's so pretty. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome!!! I knew it would be a hit!! You did a fabulous job explaining it too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, these cards are beautiful! I LOVE the way you used our Baby Circle and the little sheep- they look fabulous on these cards. Best of luck to you in the Gallery Idol contest, and THANK YOU so much for using DeNami!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wida, I am so glad to have met you through this competition! Your challenge baby cards are so creative.....I love the interlocking idea! BTW....you have a new follower! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job Wida! I love the creative, outside-the-box thinking! Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by...