Friday, November 1, 2013

Studying Pays Off




This is my card for the Casual Fridays Challenge this week.



Ok so a LONG time ago, I made a sheet of this vellum embossed stamped flower thingie page. You can see a video of how I made it HERE. Because I loved this look so much, I saved every little piece. The papers are a mix of Crate Paper and a gold and silver 12x12 pack I got from Michaels ages ago. the stamp and wood veneers are Studio Calico. I would buy those stars in bulk if I could! LOVE.


our sponsor is the very generous:

I have been really thinking lately about where I want to go in the future with the ol' blog. Right now I am feeling like I need to move in a new direction style wise. I want to expand my technique and design sense. My cards feel so "firm" most of the time. They are structured and stiff to me.

Not always, but mostly.

I have developed a serious crush on Maggie Holmes. I love her Crate Paper line, her cards for Studio Calico, her photography and her scrapbook pages. She is the inspiration for this card as I have studied and pinned her for HOURS admiring every detail in her work. I could go on about how I analyzed the elements to teach myself how to do this "freestyle whimsy" as I like to call it, but I won't bore you. I will say that I attempted this style many times before and came up disappointed only to go back to my stiff ways. But this time, I really worked hard and studied! I am thrilled with the result.

What? What's that?

You want to see my failed attempt?

Oh, brace yourself and don't judge. It just goes to show you that I am a hard worker, and studying pays off!



1. I didn't watermark the pic. I don't want anyone to know that I made this card.
2. Remember the old window sill??!

I am going to enter this in the Case Study Challenge with this month's muse Elena Roussakis! yeah!!


Ok thanks and see you next time. I always appreciate you all visiting :)

30 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Great post, Wida! I love that you didn't watermark your "other" card, LOL! I also love that you shared it anyway. ;-) The new card is beautiful, and it definitely captures a whimsical feel. I can't wait to see the new direction you take. I love your style just the way it is, but I'm always interested to see what happens when people stretch themselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you perservered! A fabulous 'freestyle whimsy' card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you always show how you started off, no matter how bad...hehe! Your studying did pay off. I often wonder if taking a few designing classes would help me learn how to be more artsy and balance my cards better. Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, you would have never gotten to the point of getting that MAD FAB card without doing the "bad" one. Like they say about childbirth, "the process isn't pretty." (This "they" crew really needs to shut the hell up, sometimes...)
    LOVE the results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart that card, stunningly gorgeous. You crack me up with your unloved unwatermarked card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is so pretty! I love the softness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love both cards :D The first one is so soft and pretty <3 And that second card? Well, you gotta start somewhere :) It will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wida, you are so funny! Your CAS-ual Fridays card is so feminine and pretty! Love all of the little details and that embossed/inked panel---GORGEOUS! And thanks for sharing your earlier attempts at this style----keepin' it real, girl! Love that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous work, my friend...just like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your post and loved your card, Wida! You nailed the "freestyle whimsy"! And for the record, I've never noticed any stiffness on your dreamy cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love this! Seriously stunning and I don't know about Maggie, this is you at your best Wida and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both cards and lovely - the first is more ethereal with it's vallum and off set panels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Studying defi Italy paid off Wida! I stared at this card for a couple.of minutes admiring all the beautiful details. It would my dream to try this , I should start studying too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see why you are thrilled with your card! Quite fabulous~ I also do not think your "old" style is firm, however, good for you going out of your comfort zone and trying a new style! I look forward to seeing your creations~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness...I love this beautiful, elegant card. Love all the layers, the stitching and that vellum? Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you already know how I feel about your card (wink) but right now the post has me cracking up. "remember the old window sill"? haha. It's nice to look back and see how much we've grown in our talents as artists and photographers :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both cards are great but i really adore that first one love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautifully done, and I think you're being a bit too critical of your earlier attempt. I take my hat off to you for persevering with your "studying" - the polished style is very evident :) Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember that vellum video--that's just the perfect "saved" piece! Beautiful card and I LOVE the dangling thread! And I remember that window sill....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very beautiful card, Wida. I love the embossed vellum, the soft colors and wood veneer stars. Oh, and thanks for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous card. Yes, freestyle whimsy - sounds so easy but is so tough. "They" know what they mean when they say "practice makes perfect." Probably one of the most used phrases in my house. And if you asked DS and DD, one of the most hated...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that stamped vellum! It looked fabulous when you first used it and it looks fabulous on tis card too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is one breathtaking card (probably one of the very best of yours that I've seen!) and I commend you for being courageous enough to show your first attempt. seriously, how many of us have the balls to do so? You rock in so many ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats Wida! Love everything you make, including your new whimsical style!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on your Top 3 win at CSC. I just knew this had to be one of the winners...

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pretty Wida! Congrats on your win at Case! Your card is drop dead gorgeous and your vellum has withheld the test of time! You are always evolving and I love your style. Makes me wonder where I will be this time next year. I can only say for certain that I'm going to have fun getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome card! So funny that you had to study so hard to make a "freestyle whimsy" card! It did turn out wonderfully - the soft colors and mix of patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your card is stunning, Wida! Yes, the studying has paid off. It's so beautiful and looks effortless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by...